Karl Schwarzschild Observatory
The observatory was founded in 1960 as an affiliated institute of the former Deutsche Akademie der Wissenschaften zu Berlin and named “Karl-Schwarzschild-Observatorium” in honour of the famous astronomer and physicist Karl Schwarzschild (1873 – 1916).
In 1992, the institute was refounded as Thüringer Landessternwarte
The observatory is located about 10 kilometers north-east of Jena.
Telescopes and Instruments
A Mollweide diagram shows the footprint of the plates